Best Practice for file ownership and permissions?

I frequently encounter problems due to file ownership and permissions
for the "system" files in /usr, /bin, /sbin/ /etc, and so forth.  For
example, when I type
	su Administrator
cygwin responds
	/usr/bin/su: /bin/bash: Permission denied

I know enough to have done
	mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd
	mkgroup -l >/etc/group

My CYGWIN variable is
	"ntsec,server"

I use Windows XP and all my filesystems are NTFS.

What is the recommended user.group ownership for the important files
in /bin, /sbin, /usr, /etc, and so on?  What are the recommended
permission bits?
--
David Arnstein
arnstein@pobox.com