empty directory globbing in bash/sh for loops

In the Cygwin bash the following statement

for file in ./SOME_EMPTY_DIR/* ; do do_it_on $file ; done

executes the following once because of how globbing is done.

do_it_on ./SOME_EMPTY_DIR/*

Unfortunately the gcc 4.0.2 makefiles do use this on possibly empty
directories and break.

Does anybody know how to solve this, please?

BIG THANX

PS
I realize it's a hot topic, but I really couldn't find a solution anywhere.
I was actually surprises to see the gcc breaking on something like this
because I've built cross-gcc 4.0.2 under mingw/msys before without any
problems at all.

 ###  OXFORD INSTRUMENTS   http://www.oxford-instruments.com/  ###

Unless stated above to be non-confidential, this E-mail and any
attachments are private and confidential and are for the addressee
only and may not be used, copied or disclosed save to the addressee.
If you have received this E-mail in error please notify us upon receipt
and delete it from your records. Internet communications are not secure
and Oxford Instruments is not responsible for their abuse by third
parties nor for any alteration or corruption in transmission.