Re: updatedb broken [attn: lapack maintainer]

Steve Kelem <skelem <at> elementcxi.com> writes:

> I'm having trouble running updatedb.  I've tried findutils-4.2.27-1 and
> findutils-4.3.0-1.
> When I run updatedb manually, I get the message:
> updatedb needs to be able to execute /usr/lib/lapack/find, but cannot.
> The directory /usr/lib/lapack contains
> cygblas.dll   cyglapack.dll

That's because /etc/profile.d/lapack.sh is polluting the namespace with
BINDIR=/usr/lib/lapack, and then updatedb fails to use its default of
BINDIR=/usr/bin because BINDIR is already set.

I don't know if findutils or lapack is at fault for this conflicting
definition of what $BINDIR represents.  I can probably work around it
in the next findutils release, but wonder if the lapack maintainer should
instead be more careful to not pollute the environment during its profile.d
script.

In the meantime, as a workaround, you can do 'unset $BINDIR' prior
to running updatedb.

--
Eric Blake
volunteer cygwin findutils maintainer