Re: service interact with desktop broken between: 1.5.5 & 1.5.19

On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 04:49:10PM -0500, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>On Sun, 26 Mar 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>The above is a way of getting your hands on the latest tarball, which
>you can later install off of your own mirror using setup.exe.

>> The way to install packages for cygwin is via "setup.exe".  If you don't
>> see a package 2 microseconds after someone sends an announcement to
>> cygwin-announce then... WAIT FOR IT.
>
>The point I was making is that if none of the mirrors are quick enough for
>you, you can create and maintain your own.

Yes.  I got that.  It's an unproductive and confusing point to be making
to someone who wants to install the latest version of a package.

>Plus, some mirrors are slower to update than others (yes, I know that
>all mirrors on the official list will be at most 1/2 day behind, but
>setup.exe gives no indication that the currently selected mirror came
>from a local selection rather than the official mirror list, so you can
>easily be waiting on a stale mirror).

Yes, and again, the correct advice to the impatient soul who needs the
package RIGHT NOW is to either try another mirror or wait.  We don't
need a bunch of random people setting up local mirrors or, worse, trying
to figure out how to grab one package via rsync and sending email here
when they can't figure out how to do this.

This obviously needs a FAQ entry:

  Q) Someone announced the availability of a new package and now, 14.3797ms after
  I've read the message, I find that it is not available on my local mirror.
  Was the announcement just a joke?  Did a hacker delete the package?  Is
  setup.exe broken?

  A) Don't worry.  Relax.  Mirrors poll the cygwin web site to retrieve
  new packages at varying intervals.  If you don't see the package on your
  favorite mirror either try a new mirror or...  just wait.