RE: how t o read env variable in cygwin

On 27 March 2006 15:11, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to cyg_win_user on 3/27/2006 3:12 AM:
>> i m trying to read environment variable in perl using
>>
>>         $OSTY = $ENV{OSTYPE};
>> this will return os type as "linux" or "solaris". but when i try for cygwin
>> it returns empty string. is the some other syntax of way of finding value
>> of env variable in cygwin
>
> What shell are you using?  OSTYPE is auto-set to "cygwin" by bash, but not
> by other shells (including if you are starting perl directly from
> cmd.com).  Rather than reading an environment variable that is not
> standardized and might not be set, you could always use 'uname -s' instead.

  I'm no perl guru, but it really looks to me like OSTYPE isn't getting
imported to perl's %ENV because it's only a Bash shell variable, not a system
environment variable.

dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware/build2> set | grep OSTYPE
OSTYPE=cygwin
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware/build2> env | grep OSTYPE
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware/build2> perl -e 'foreach $key (sort
keys(%ENV)) { print "$key = $ENV{$key}\n" ; } ' | grep OSTYPE
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware/build2>

  I also find this is the case on RH8, so I don't know why the OP reckons it
works on Linux; could be some local modification to his startup profile or
anything really.  Exporting it does the trick, as you might expect:

dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware/build2> export OSTYPE
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware/build2> env | grep OSTYPE
OSTYPE=cygwin
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware/build2> perl -e 'foreach $key (sort
keys(%ENV)) { print "$key = $ENV{$key}\n" ; } ' | grep OSTYPE
OSTYPE = cygwin
dk@rainbow /artimi/software/firmware/build2>

    cheers,
      DaveK