RE: Windows 95 support ?

On 24 April 2006 18:09, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

>> Perhaps, but as long as the Cygwin DLL etc do support 95, it seems that
>> Setup should be self contained and not require W95 users (all dozen of them
>> ;-)) to hunt down DLLs all over the internet.  Perhaps I'll whip up a
>> regular Setup installer which includes the necessary redistributables.
>
> Why bother?
>
> To put this in perspective, this affects only users who are using
> Windows 95 original edition (*not* any OSR version),

  No, it affects Win95 original AND OSR1 and 2, but not OSR2.5, which came
with IE4.  At least according to the earlier posts in this thread, anyway.

> *AND* have not
> installed a non-ancient Internet Explorer version.

  This condition should read "AND have not installed ANY ie version ever"

> For this tiny minority, is it *really* worth the confusion of a separate
>  Cygwin setup bundle, as compared with the alternative of just writing a
> FAQ entry explaining how to get the necessary prerequisites?

  I agree with you here.  There's not an awful lot of machines that have never
had IE on them.

    cheers,
      DaveK