Re: Geomview & Cygwin setup [Attn gcc maintainer]

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 04:46:31PM +0000, Eric Blake wrote:
>However, I feel that the output of gcc -v is not entirely freeform, because
>part of it is also used in gcc --version.  In this recent autoconf thread,
>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2006-04/msg00116.html,
>it was pointed out that Debian has a similar bug where their gcc's
>version output violates GNU coding standards by not ending in a
>version number.  Gerritt, I would suggest that the next time you
>package gcc for cygwin, that you alter the version string such that
>it ends in a version number, perhaps something like:
>gcc (GCC) 3.4.4 (cygwin/mingw special, gdc 0.12, dmd 0.125) 3.4.4-2

When I first introduced the parentheses in the version, I tried to
follow advice of one of the gcc developers and I patterned the output
vaguely on some version of Red Hat's gcc.

I've just run 'gcc --version' on Fedora, Gentoo, Cygwin, and Debian,.
All of their version strings end with a parenthesized expression.  The
only thing that they seem to do that Cygwin doesn't is include some
variation of the gcc version within the parentheses.  So, if you know
you're running on "Gentoo Linux" you'll be able to find out what release
of, e.g., gcc 3.3.4 you're using).  This particular bit of information
would not solve the intractable problem which started this discussion.

I don't see any reason for Gerrit to change anything except possibly
to put everything within one parenthesized expression.  "GNU standards"
aside, we seem to be in good company.

Now, let's move on from this topic?  Please?  I really don't think it
deserves this much attention.

cgf