Re: 1.5.19-4: sshd: "child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed" after computer reboot (Windows 2003 Server SP1)

Hello René,

Thanks for your notes, comments below:

On Sunday 04 June 2006 23:22, René Berber wrote:
> René Krell wrote:
> > Well, following the last recommendations I re-installed Cygwin with
> > opensshd from scratch (see also attachment: cygcheck.out) and launched
> > ssh-host-config like this:
>
> [snip]
>
> > After restarting the computer connections are refused:
> > user@host:~> ssh Administrator@192.168.60.99
> > ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
>
> Did you use ssh-user-config before this?

Yes, but I uninstalled all files and Cygwin registry entries and made a
completely new installation before launching ssh-user-config again. Otherwise
I wouldn't believen the result, too ;-)

> > .... and in in /var/log/sshd.log appears again the good old song:
> >       9 [main] sshd 2556 child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed,
> > 0x46C000..0x46C040, done 0, windows pid 2284756, Win32 error 87
>
> Could this be an old log entry?

No, see above. Additionally, the effect comes everytime with the same symptoms
- connection refused on the client and this log entry.

> > ... but after "Restart Service" from the service console the connection
> > is established.
>
> Which should give you a clue: what is changed when the user that restarts
> the service logs in?

A goot hint, but at this point I can't get an idea ;-) Anyone else?

> >> [..]
> >> Path:	c:\cygwin\usr\local\bin
> >> 	c:\cygwin\bin
> >> 	c:\cygwin\bin
> >> 	c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin
> >> 	c:\WINDOWS\system32
> >> 	c:\WINDOWS
> >> 	c:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
> >> 	c:\PROGRA~1\CA\SHARED~1\SCANEN~1
> >> 	c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\
> >> 	c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\
> >> 	c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\
> >> 	c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> >> Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\ c:\Program Files\Microsoft
> >> Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\ c:\Program
> >> Files\Subversion\bin
> >> 	d:\gkretail\sshd\bin
> >> 	d:\gkretail\sshd\bin
> >> 	d:\gkretail\sshd\bin
>
> This is the PATH for user Administrator but what part is global?

System Environment Variable - %Path% (...what the service should use from my
point of view...):
-- CTRL+C -> CTRL+V
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:
\PROGRA~1\CA\SHARED~1\SCANEN~1;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\80\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:
\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
--
==> The duplicate search path entries might result from an earlier
installation, but shouldn't matter

> Better yet, what is the path to executable in the sshd service properties?

Path to executable (from the service console):
c:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe

> [..]
> >> AVENGINE = 'C:\PROGRA~1\CA\SHARED~1\SCANEN~1'
>
> Just anti-virus or includes a firewall?

There's no firewall running on the server.

> [..]
> >> Service             : sshd
> >> Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
> >> Current State       : Running
> >> Controls Accepted   : Stop
> >> Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
> >> stdin path          : /dev/null
> >> stdout path         : /var/log/sshd.log
> >> stderr path         : /var/log/sshd.log
> >> Environment         : CYGWIN="ntsec tty binmode"
> >> Process Type        : Own Process
> >> Startup             : Automatic
> >> Dependencies        : tcpip
> >> Account             : .\sshd_server
>
> Can't see the cause of the problem.  My guess is that something is dynamic,
> but I don't see network drives, the users appear to be local (not network)
> users, and sshd depending on tcpip should be enough... the only suspects
> left are not mentioned at all (a firewall and an anti-virus).

Adding the dependency to "lanmanworkstation" did not have any effect. The
"Workstation" service itself depends on a number of other ones, so it should
really startup late (relatively).
I tested it on 3(!) machines with the same configuration and the problem can
be reliably reproduced on each one of them.
I found some similar threads in earlier discussions, but without a solution
for me, for instance:

Regards,
R.K.