RE: setup - duplicating cygwin

Hi,

Wed, 17 May Igor Peshansky wrote:
> Jim, in that case you're looking for /etc/setup/installed.db with all
> version numbers replaced by "0.0-0".  Just place it into
> c:\cygwin\etc\setup on the target machine, and run setup normally,
> clicking "Next" all the way through.

I said I would report how it worked out so here goes.
Maybe I did it wrong:  :-(

1) using windows read "installed.db" into "my documents"
2) the version numbers were already set to zero.
3) using windows I removed /c/cygwin and /c/cygwin.disk
4) using windows created /c/cygwin/etc/setup/installed.db
5) ran setup (the latest one)

It installed only 54 Mb whereas the original was 362 Mb. (based 1024)
Clearly something went wrong.

4) tar was working so I replaced the entire cygwin directory with the
   one I had brought with me.  Again all the version numbers in
   installed.db were already zero.

A lot of things didn't work, to mention only two I couldn't compile
a C program (missing -luser32 library) and the clipboard between
windoze and cygwin didn't work.  It worked within windows and within
cygwin but not between.

5) ran setup again and told it to reinstall everything that it thought
   was installed.  Didn't help.

ran out of time. :-(

When I got home I found that I couldn't compile a C program at home
either :-( although everything else worked including the clipboard.
Investigating I found libuser32.a in /cygwin/lib/w32api(2) and there
existed an empty /cygwin/lib/w32api.  Moving  w32api(2) to w32api
fixed that problem.  I had run setup since the last time I compiled
anything and I am now wondering if perhaps setup had moved the old
w32api to w32api(2) and somehow failed to fill the new one.

If anyone feels like clarifying that I'm all ears.
If it's any help the mirror site I used was:
ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin
I'm still trying to learn exactly what setup does so I'm not asking for
help on that - yet - but I do have one question:

What's the secret to getting the clipboard working between windoze
and cygwin.  I am using the -clipboard option in xinit, viz.
xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/X -clipboard +kb -ar1 200 -ar2 10  &

I remember having a lot trouble getting this to work in the first
place.  Is there a windows setting that needs to be checked off
somewhere?

Thanks for reading this.

	Jim