RE: mv: permission denied - bug

Hi,

> I failed to reproduce your problem. However, maybe you can test out a
> couple of things:
>
> You are doing the move accross volumes (from /tmp which you have
> mounted from  d:\programme\cygwin\ to /cygdrive/x/test , which is
> x:\test\ ). Do you still see the problem if you do the move within the
> same volume? (Ie, make a directory /cygdrive/x/tmp/ and use it instead
> of /tmp/ ). This would be a good idea even if it doesn't fix this
> problem, since it should also be faster, because mv within the same
> volume is just a rename, whereas mv between volumes has to do a copy
> then delete.

Thanks for the idea - I tried this - without fixing the problem - also I
haven't seen much speedup - sorry.

> Do you still see the problem if you use a mount instead of
> /cygdrive/x/ (ie something like
> $ mount -s -b "x:/test" "/xtest"
> and then use /xtest in place of /cygdrive/x in all your scripts)? (I
> wouldn't expect this to make a difference, but you never know).

Ok, I tried - at first the mount here gave me an
Warning - /xtest does not exist.

But /xtest exists after it.

I run the modified scripts having /xtest/tmp as temporary directory.
(Scanner disabled).
Same result - problem is still there.

> Are you running anything that wants to examine every file on your
> system (realtime virus scanner, personal firewall, content indexer,
> google desktop search, etc)? Try uninstalling (not just disabling) all
> such software, as it has been known to cause similar problems in the
> past.

Your are right, I missed the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8 - it is
configured to only scan on write - during running my script I can see
that it scans after a mv happened. But for the failed files I can not
see a scan (because the write has not happened).
I can not uninstall it (by company policy), but when disabling it, it
makes no differences - the problem is still there.
Maybe I can try this on a different pc without a scanner.

> cygcheck indicated that both d: and x: are local ntfs hard disks. Is
> this correct?

Yes its a Laptop with one HardDisk with some partitions - d/x are both
NTFS partitions. I also have a temp (z) partition that is FAT32.
Just for the fun I tried to have the tmp on this partition (with
disabled scanner). Makes no differences ....

Btw. I found that when I cancel the running script (last find) via
ctrl-c - then the main script is cancelt, but the diff runs in
background.
Thought all child processed died with the parent one?

Greetings

    Kai