RE: Using du.exe to calculate disk usage on a Microsoft cluster server

Hi,

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 Will Beldman wrote:
> 1. I have explained how I got long filenames (From another message):
> "I don't own the files. One example is 259 characters long. They are
> caused by users who have chosen to name their files the same thing as
> the first sentence of their MS Word doc."
> 2. Most of the text you have quoted was my first message sent in. Some
> of my follow ups helped explain your questions I'm sure.
> 3. Understand I cannot simply give out the names of offending files. I
> am already standing on the borderline traversing other user's private
> files let alone share the names online. Nonetheless, do not concern
> yourself with these issues. The one I care about is the fts_read which
> kills du. Even in the worst case, I would at least like to see du keep
> going through other files until there are none left to do.

So the details are confidential.  However if you expect to get help
you must answer questions and do what is requested of you.

My suggestion is to generate your own directory structure similar to the
"real" stuff but containing no "confidential" information and see if you
can duplicate the problem in that.  You probably won't have to use the
same names nor include collateral files.  Chances are good that by so
constructing a simpler structure you'll figure it out for yourself.

If you can duplicate the problem then you can disclose all the details.

HTH
	Jim