Re: Ansi escape sequences showing in Man pages

No http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU please, and http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR... thanks!

jbonnett@sola.com.au wrote:
Igor Peshansky wrote:
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, jbonnett wrote:
I am having a problem where escape sequences, rather than colour
highlighting, appear when I display man pages.
[snip]

Any clues about what to check to fix this on my work machine?

Unset PAGER.

Unset PAGER did not fix things, but after reading some man pages on the Internet, I discovered a way to make things work for me.

PAGER="less -r"
Export PAGER

After that I get readable highlighted man pages.

Hmm, you shouldn't have to do that. What is the output of the following commands (with PAGER and MANPAGER unset)?

$ unset PAGER ; unset MANPAGER # no output, but do this first
$ man -d man 2>&1 | tail -n 1 # what man thinks it is doing
$ grep PAGER /usr/share/misc/man.conf # what man is being told to use

(note: '#' and things after are comments; you don't need to type them)

You should get something like:
$ unset PAGER ; unset MANPAGER
$ man -d man
(cd "/usr/share/man" && (echo ".pl 11i"; /usr/bin/cat '/usr/share/man/man1/man.1') | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/nroff -c -mandoc 2>/dev/null | /usr/bin/less -isrR)
$ grep PAGER /usr/share/misc/man.conf
PAGER /usr/bin/less -isrR

...mostly you are looking for sane arguments (-r in particular) being given to 'less'. If not, you may need to edit /usr/share/man.conf, although I would be curious to know how your man.conf got to having a bad PAGER (if that turns out to be the problem).

--
Matthew
This is not the list you're looking for. -- Perversion of Obi Wan