Re: Setup.exe requirements [was RE: Cygintl-3.dll was not found]

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 09:43:01PM +0200, Tevfik Karag?lle wrote:
>Thanks.
>
>According to the setup.exe default package information,
>Following 41 packages forms 'a core cygwin environment':
>
>---------------------------
>Alternatives ash base-files base-passwd bash coreutils
>cygwin cygwin-doc diffutils editrights findutils gawk gdbm
>Grep gzip libgdbm lidgdbm-devel libgdbm3 libgdbm4
>libncurses5 libncurses6 libncurses7 libncurses8 libreadline4
>Libreadline5 libreadline6 login man ncurses run sed
>Tar termcap terminfo which zlib cygwin-doc man gawk
>Termcap zlib
>---------------------------
>
>In the first phase, I can think of producing a monolithic
>installer for the core environment performing tasks
>below:
>
>- Create basic cygwin registry mountpoints
>- untar packages
>- run the postinstall script
>- Create start menu items and shortcuts (optional)
>- maintain setub.db (how?)
>
>Would that be a valid cygwin installation ?
>
>Second phase could be to introduce upgrade functionality.

You shouldn't worry about "a core cygwin environment".  Just worry about
dealing correctly with dependencies and understanding categories like
"Base".  The packages in setup.ini which are in the Base category + all
of their dependencies are what constitute the base Cygwin installation.
However, it seems to me that if you understand Base and dependencies,
then you don't really need to worry about Base at all.

cgf