Re: removing Cygwin: the nuclear option

On Mon, 22 Aug 2006, Paul S R Chisholm wrote:

> I'm working on an automated Cygwin install and uninstall. I think I've
> got the uninstall, but I wanted to know if my approach is wise.
>
> The first step is to run "cygrunsrv --list" to find all the Cygwin
> services, and then run "cygrunsrv --stop" and "cygrunsrv --remove" on
> each of them.

Sounds right.  You might also want to terminate any other (non-service)
Cygwin processes while you're at it, and also check for inetd (which runs
without cygrunsrv, and thus won't show up in cygrunsrv's list).

> The second is to remove all the files (this is a line from a Windows
> batch file, not a Cygwin shell script):
>
>     rmdir /s /q %CYGWIN_HOME%

As the FAQ mentions, you might have permission issues with the above.  See
below.

> The third is to get rid of all the registry entries:
>
>     reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions" /f
>     reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cygnus Solutions" /f
>
> The "reg" command is installed on all systems running Windows XP and
> Windows Server 2003, and can be installed on Windows 2000. I understand
> that's not good enough for all cases, but it suits my needs.

FWIW, you can use Cygwin's regtool to accomplish the same (and it won't
need the mounts that are stored in the registry).  Obviously, you'll have
to do this *before* removing the Cygwin root directory.

> Too much, too little, just right?  --PSRC

Basically, if you automate the recipe in
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.uninstall-all>, you should
be fine.
HTH,
	Igor