Re: copying and pasting in the terminal window?

    John> Hi everyone.  I just installed cygwin on WinXP and I'm
    John> wondering if there is a way to copy and paste in the command
    John> prompt, like in Linux?

Sure.  But it's a feature of cmd.exe, not of Cygwin.  In other words,
you can do what I'm about to describe on _any_ Windows box.

Right-click the "System icon" in the upper-left corner of the window;
choose "Properties".  Click the "Options" tab (that's the leftmost
tab).  Make sure the "QuickEdit Mode" checkbox is checked (it might
already be; I'm not sure).  Now click OK a couple times to dismiss the
various dialogs.

>From now on, in that particular window at least, you can select text
with left-click + drag, then copy that selected to the clipboard with
right-click.

    John> I figured the cygwin terminal would look and act more like
    John> the bash shell

A terminal is one thing; a shell is a different thing.  Unless I'm
quite mistaken, you _are_ running the bash shell in the Windows
"terminal".

If you want, you can install the "rxvt" package, which provides an
alternative to the Windows terminal.  Selection and copying work
differently in it, I imagine.

    John> but so far it doesn't for me.  Does this mean I'm still
    John> using a DOS prompt?  (Despite the $ prompt instead of C:\)?

At least one of the two of us is very confused.  As I said, a terminal
and a shell are two different things.  I think you're using the shell
you expect -- as evidenced by the $ prompt -- and a terminal that
you're unfamiliar with.  My advice above about copy-n-paste should
help some; otherwise try rxvt.  There might even be other options
besides those two.

--
This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel.  This movie isn't
the bottom of the barrel.  This movie isn't below the bottom of the