Re: chmod, chown doesn't work with 1.5.21-1 (FAQ alert)

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Auteria Wallace Winzer Jr. wrote:

> I just installed 1.5.21-1 on a new system. On my old
> system I had installed previous versions and I didn't
> have any issues with chown/chmod. Now with a brand new
> install it seems after executing chmod when viewing
> the results it shows the previous setting.
> [snip]
>
> Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
> [snip cygcheck output]

We appreciate that you read the problem reporting guidelines, but next
time, please *attach* the output of "cygcheck -svr" rather than include it
inline.  We can just as easily quote relevant chunks from an attachment as
we can from inline text.  Thanks.  Now to your cygcheck output:

> c:  hd  FAT32    53970Mb  27% CP    UN           ACER
          ^^^^^
> d:  hd  FAT32   114442Mb   2% CP    UN
          ^^^^^
> e:  hd  FAT32    54480Mb   1% CP    UN           ACERDATA
          ^^^^^
> f:  cd             N/A    N/A

AHA!

File permission emulation doesn't work on FAT32 systems at all (and is
barely usable on FAT systems).  You are probably better off with an NTFS
filesystem that supports permissions and ownership (and I'm willing to bet
your old machine had NTFS disks).

FWIW, I was going to suggest that you look at the relevant FAQ entry
(<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.chmod>), but then I
realized that the entry is horribly out of date, and doesn't mention
filesystem types at all (the only place they are mentioned is the
description of the "ntea" setting in the CYGWIN environment variable:
<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html>).  I don't have the
time to create the proper FAQ patch, but Joshua, if you are reading this,
please take note.

HTH,
	Igor
--