RE: copying and pasting in the terminal window?

Awesome.

> It appears to be xterm (which I never liked to begin
> with), which needs an X server

As others have stated, it's not xterm and there's no X server required.

> and is a PITA to configure,

Mm, no, in the Unixoid scheme of things it's probably one of the easier
programs to configure.  The main trick is (or at least used to be) getting
your delete, home, end, etc keys working right, and I can send you my
magical .initrc to take care of that post-haste.

> has an ugly font,

???  You can pick whatever font you want, even the cmd one if you want.

> and probably has issues running certain CUI
> applications (at least I know I've heard such rumors).

I can confirm that particular rumor.  Essentially you get no I/O with
certain non-Cygwin command-line apps, generally ones that are interactive.
It's never been enough of an issue for me to switch back to the horrific
cmd, and I've been using rxvt forever.

> And I
> see exactly zero ways in which it is an improvement over Console.

Copy/paste, scrollback buffer, and "Unix-like, X or no X" are three that
immediately come to mind.

> Console is awesome, if you're still using rxvt change over
> immediately.

Nope, if you look back you'll turn into a pillar of salt!

> Believe me now and thank me later. :-)

I shall do neither! ;-)

> If you *must* have an X-based terminal emulator for some
> reason (or even just something that isn't using the CUI
> subsystem under the covers), I would strongly recommend
> Konsole as VASTLY superior to xterm/rxvt. You can get an old
> version... um, somewhere, or wait and see if KDE4 makes good
> on native Windows support (which I guess would no longer be
> X-based, but would also not need an X server).

Well you can rest assured I shall give it a try should they come out with a
native port.  Now in the meantime, get rxvt installed before it's too
late!!!  To get you started, here's the command line of the shortcut I've
used for countless years of cmd-free Cygwinning:

C:\unix\bin\rxvt.exe -tn rxvt-cygwin-native -sr -sl 1000 -fn "Lucida
Console-bold-14" -e bash --login -i

You're welcome. ;-)

--
Gary R. Van Sickle