Re: probe and set terminal type when shell is spawned

Igor Peshansky wrote:
On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Carlo Florendo wrote:

Hello,

Is it possible for me to automatically set the TERM variable in bash
depending on the type of my terminal.

For example, these are the things I want to accomplish:

1.  If I ssh into the cygwin box from an xterm on a Linux box, I would
like TERM=xterm-color.
2.  If I simply spawn a DOS-like shell, I'd like TERM=ansi
3.  If I spawn an rxvt console, I'd like TERM=xterm.

I know this can be done manually but would it be possible for us to
create a script to do this?
If so, what cygwin program can we use to probe the terminal type of the
connecting client?

The terminal emulator is ultimately responsible for setting TERM appropriately, and usually does. The only problem is with TERM=xterm vs. TERM=xterm-color -- most xterms (including rxvt) will use the former as the default TERM value. You can override the TERM value that xterm or rxvt sets via command-line options or X resources, though.

If you spawn a "DOS-like shell" (by which I assume you mean a bash running
in a Windows console window),

Exactly.

TERM is automatically set to "cygwin".  You
can use that fact in your scripts to change it to "ansi" if you wish.

To my knowledge, it is not possible in general to automatically detect the
remote TERM type.
HTH,
Igor

These have been very useful, Igor. Yes, my research led to /dev/null when researching about automatically probing for TERM. This issue is now closed.

Thanks!

Cygwin rocks,

Carlo

--