RE: simply cygwin1.dll

On 21 September 2006 04:57, Christopher Layne wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 11:31:09PM -0400, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>>
>>   The standard problem when
>> doing what you're doing is forgetting to stop services.

> One would think it were something typical like that. But I explicitly
> issued a 'net stop sshd', 'net stop syslogd' and had task manager up
> verifying every single cygwin related process was absolutely dead.

  Get the latest ProcessExplorer and use the 'Find' menu to search for
'cygwin1.dll'.  You'll see at once any process that still has a handle open to
it.

>  I wonder if it's a result of me renaming the new snapshot dll
> to cygwin1.dll right before I exited my final cygwin shell. I would think
> windows wouldn't even know that file was there yet (just sitting in some
> temp directory). But I also know very little about window's behind the
> scenes dll behavior.

  Windows will load a dll located in the current directory, so it might have
been getting invoked somehow.  $CWD comes ahead of $PATH in the search order,
too.

http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682586.aspx

    cheers,
      DaveK