Re: updated bash to latest 3.1.17(8)-release; startup has errors now

DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
I have been on vacation for two weeks.

As I often do after an absence, I ran setup.exe on my system and
updated my cygwin installation.

After doing this, I get some wacky errors when I try to run a bash
shell (double-clicking the cygwin icon).

It says this
<wacky>
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
': not a valid identifier
: command not found
: command not found
bash: /etc/profile: line 66: syntax error near unexpected token `done'
'ash: /etc/profile: line 66: `  done <<- EOF
bash-3.1$
</wacky>

It also does not drop me into my home directory as it once did.

Here is my version string and the other stuff is attached:
CYGWIN_NT-5.1 ISD2-KM84178 1.5.21(0.156/4/2) 2006-07-30 14:21 i686
Cygwin

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this or if not,
what I can check out or examine to fix it.

You could have checked the list archives for the last couple of weeks to
get an idea if anyone else has experienced this.  It's always a good
practice.

I did not want to presume that sending my /etc/profile,
/etc/bash.bashrc, or something in my /etc/profile.d diretory would be
useful, but if you need them, just let me know.

If your cygcheck output is any indication, then things on your system
are pretty screwed up.  It can't find any Cygwin executables including
bash, sh, and ls, among others.  You may want to have a look at why
that's the case.

If you suspect bash is the root of your issue, make sure that your script
files don't have CRNL as line endings.  Since you have binary mounts, this
is now a no-no.  You can find lots of discussion of this in the email
archives.

Holliston, MA 01746