1.5.21: rxvt fails to shutdown due to ssh -f still running

When I log out of or shutdown my Windows login session, if I had a background process that I started within a Win32 rxvt session, I get an error that rxvt00000<some other hex numbers> has not shut down. For example if I use ssh -f or run ssh in the background using &, this symptom manifests.

I can also see a related symptom if I am running using a Windows console. When I log out of bash, the console window will stick around until the ssh process is killed.

I would like for these console windows and hidden rxvt windows to shut down without further confirmation. Is there a way to do this? Or a good workaround?

I have Googled for this problem, and while I have found other related problems (such as ssh-agent continuing to run) I have not found any solutions for this case.