Re: 1.5.21-1: sshd: "child_copy: linked dll data write copy failed" after computer reboot (Windows 2000 SP4)

On November 7, 2006, Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2006, Dan Harkless wrote:
> > On November 7, 2006, Dan Harkless <cygwin-list@XXXXXXXX.XXX> wrote:
>
> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR> (yes, even your own -- do you
> really want more spam?).  Thanks.

Argh.  Sorry.  I guess I am used to archivers that either munge *all* email
addresses, even in the body, or none of them, neither of which requires
deliberate user action.  Had not yet come across a mailing list with a
PCYMTNQREAIYR policy (though I totally understand and agree with it, now
that you point it out).

I would suggest having the Cygwin webmaster update
<http://cygwin.com/lists.html> to make the PCYMTNQREAIYR policy very clear
(right now there's only a vague hint at it with "...viewable by anyone. That
includes email addresses..."), including info that the archiver munges
header but not body email addresses, so that people will know about this
_before_ they make the mistake.

It would also be good if the ezmlm WELCOME message were customized to have a
big "NOTE:" about this at the top of the mail.

> Sometimes this indicates that services start in the wrong order.  Try
> installing sshd with a dependency on the "tcpip" service (and possibly
> your firewall service).  You can use the "-y" option of cygrunsrv.

Thanks for the info on cygrunsrv -y, but in the June thread on this, René
Krell had mentioned that dependency-setting didn't fix this problem.

[I found the problem, though -- stay tuned for my next mail.]

--
Dan Harkless
http://harkless.org/dan/