Re: bash scripting problem

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
From: Rob Walker
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 5:29 PM
Subject: Re: bash scripting problem

Eric Blake wrote:

According to Andrew Louie on 12/1/2006 3:17 PM:
You have DOS line endings in these files. Use 'd2u' to
remove them.
Thanks! I would have never known that,

now, can i run d2u on every file in my installation?
No, only run it on text files (it corrupts binary files,
such as *.exe).
d2u may also corrupt "text" files that need to have CR in them. This includes bash scripts that need to parse or output CR.

-Rob

Do you have a link to such a script? I don't mean a proof-of-principle; I'm
sure a suitable example can be contrived. What I'm looking for is a shell
script "in the wild" that purposely has a carriage return embedded in it for
reasons other than ending a line of the script.
No, I don't have any such examples, sorry. My response was a bit tongue-in-cheek.

When earlier I'd complained about igncr not being the Cygwin default, the existence of these scripts (which could easily be corrupted by d2u) was offered as one justification for this choice.

-Rob