Re: Windows NTFS UCS2 characters

Igor Peshansky wrote:
The former is true, the latter is half-true. Cygwin works with the
default codepage when the Windows locale settings are set correctly.  You
cannot *switch* locales programmatically from within Cygwin, but it can
handle the full 8-bit charset just fine.

Not sure what ANSI means in this context (if you meant ASCII, or 7-bit,
then the codepage reference makes no sense). If the codepage is set
correctly, Cygwin will read those files.
---
   I wish the problem was so simple.  But files created in Windows
aren't created under any _one_ codepage.  Most of my files are fine
to read under cp850/437 (or iso8859-1 equiv), but not all of them.

  A few files -- in a most annoying section use characters not
supported in the western/latin-1 charset.  It's in a Music folder
containing world music.  I'd like to be able to use "rsync" to
copy the music to my MP3 device, but two different code pages
would be required -- some files have French names that encode
under an iso8859-1 equivalent codepage, but music in an adjacent
directory is Middle Eastern.  That requires some different, Turkish
codepage.

   So you see, there is no [single] codepage that will work to
copy (or read) the files in Cygwin.

   That's the main reason proper UTF-8 support is a "want" of mine.
It works on linux where the files are stored on a server, and windows
reads them, but Cygwin is limited to Win98-level support.  :-(

Aren't most of the libraries used on cygwin the same as those used
on linux? If UTF-8 support has been added there, I'm not sure why it
is so difficult on cygwin. Is it a limitation of the underlying OS
calls that would have to be worked around?

   Oh well...
-linda