Re: How to login to another Unix workstation or Cygwin PC

Cary Jamison wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Steve Boyd wrote:
I'm a Cygwin newbie; spent the last 15 years in the tender clutches
of hp-ux. Currently making the jump to Cygwin.  I'm looking for a
place to start when it comes to using things I was familiar with on
hp-ux; rlogin, remsh, ftp, etc.  Can anybody give me some general
background on these subjects in Cygwin?

I'm not aware of an "remsh" for Cygwin (and neither is http://cygwin.com/packages/), but the same says that "rsh" (which you still shouldn't use if you can avoid it) lives in the 'inetutils' package. Oddly enough, that seems to also be the package where the vanilla 'ftp' lives.

remsh on hp-ux == rsh on other unixes, so your advice still holds.
hp-ux has a different rsh (restricted shell), so they named the remote shell remsh.

Ok, I kind-of thought that was the case. At any rate, it is still insecure, and ssh is recommended.

(Dave, my sig rotator must like you today ;-).)

--
Matthew
HIPPOS wallow slightly in the MUDDY RIVER
> WALLOW IN MUDDY RIVER
You join HIPPOS.