sh problems

Hi,

I think that I have narrowed this down enough to say that this is a
cygwin issue. Hopefully, I can get some advice on this list. If I run
these commands in a dos window that I started nativly on the machine,

C:\Documents and Settings\kelli>set PATH=C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\msys\1.0\bin
C:\Documents and Settings\kelli>sh --login -i

bob@white~
$ ls
bin  rcs  tmp  vigilant

bob@white~
$

Then everything works fine. Including vim. However, if I login via ssh and
run this command,
$ TERM=vt100 HOME=C:/msys/1.0/home/kelli
+PATH=/cygdrive/c/windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/windows:/cygdrive/c/msys/1.0/bin
+/cygdrive/c/windows/system32/cmd /c sh --login -i

bob@white ~
$ ls
ls
bin
rcs
tmp
vigilant

The sh doesn't properly. echo is turned on, tab completion doesn't work,
the arrows literally move you around the terminal...
Also, ls doesn't know how to display the files properly. If I start vim
I get

$ vim
vim
Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal
Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal

Does anyone know why this would be? I've talked extensivly with the
mingw-users list, and they aren't sure why. They recommended asking
here if cygwin does something odd in the background.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi