RE: activestate perl on cygwin

> > >  And what does #! look like?
> > #! /usr/bin/perl
> Is there something that the space after the "!" and before the "/" buys
> you?

Readability. It is simply a question of style. I prefer the space. Has
it come to that?

> So your specifically saying by your shebang line - execute Cygwin's
> perl.

As I state later, I use a symlink so I am infact executing Activestate perl.
Seriously, are you trying to attack me or understand the problem? I am
trying to be nice, I already apologized for my behavior earlier.

> >> what does ls portion after #! in your script return?
> > Before the conversion using cygpath, it returns the same as in the
> > error: /home/kcella/bin/myscript.pl
> So then you are saying that you have no /usr/bin/perl? Is so then why
> do
> you put "#! /usr/bin/perl" in your script at all?

I think I misunderstood the question. I had taken it to mean had I
executed an ls on the incoming argument to my wrapper script (ie: the
script filename), what would be the output. Now I see what you were
trying to get at was if the interpreter referenced by the #! line exists
on my system. As I state later, I use a symlink:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/perl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 kcella None 20 Jan 13 00:19 /usr/bin/perl ->
/c/Perl/bin/perl.exe

> So now you are saying that you have no problem?!?

Keep reading...

> > The example I gave is for when I have no wrapper script and just
> > create a symlink in /usr/bin/perl that points to
> /c/Perl/bin/perl.exe.
> Huh? There is no /c/... although I've heard of a way to do that I've
> also heard that it's not supported. Futher, why would you want to
> symlink /usr/bin/perl -> /c/Perl/bin/perl.exe?!? Or, since you insist
> on
> using ActiveState, then why not specifically specify something like
> #!C:/Perl/bin/perl.exe or something like that?

Again, it is just a question of style. I have done it both ways, I
prefer using linux style pahts. I mount c: to /c because it is
much faster to type than /cygdrive/c/ and it makes more sense from
a readability standpoint.

> > The root cause of the example is the reason for the initial post. The
> > wrapper script was the solution I happened to choose to get around
> the
> > path problem, but quickly found out that it does not work properly
> > with: perl -e 'print join "\n", @INC, "\n";'
> >> Oh and what is PATH set to?
> >
> /home/kcella/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/c/Perl/bi
> n/:/c
> > /WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem
> You could probably also simply use #!perl since C:/Perl/bin is in your
> path...

Another question of style. Although for me it is more habitual
than stylistic. Your questions are very subjective with an insulting tone.
I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way. Do you at least understand
Why the cygwin style paths are causing an issue? And what it is I am trying
to accomplish?