Re: fyi, libreadline causing Metasploit to drop Cygwin

Eric Blake wrote:

> > Metasploit, one of the top security tools out there, is written in Ruby
> > and currently distributed with CygWin, is about to drop Windows support,
> > because of libreadline problems on Cygwin.
> >
> > In case there is anything you can do to help!
>
> Nothing in that thread made it obvious as to what they perceived the
> readline problems to be, so no I can't help without a more detailed report.

I agree with Eric, I think you're misinterpreting what they said.  They
were saying that a native (i.e. non-Cygwin) Win32 port of readline is a
mess, and the alternative -- bundling the entire Cygwin environment --
puts too much strain on their bandwidth and user support for dealing
with upgrades.  Nothing in that message seemed to indicate that there
was anything wrong with the Cygwin implementation of libreadline.  If I
were them I'd simply make metasploit a package that can be installed
with setup.exe (it needn't even be an official packge, although that
helps) and that way they don't have to provide anything but that one
package.

Brian