vi, emacs do "nothing"

I've used cygwin in the distant past, several times, and I don't remember
this being a problem. What I mean by "doing nothing" is just that - I type
"vi", "vim", "emacs" (they are all installed) and I simply return to a new
prompt. There is no error, because the programs are evidently found; they
are in my PATH.

I can't imagine that it's an X issue - PuTTy doesn't have a problem running
vi when I contact from Windows to Linux. After all, you are just temporarily
swapping out the contents of the terminal window.

I'd prefer an error, because that would indicate what's happening.

I've tried with both the Windows console and rxvt. There is no difference.

Thank you.

AHS