less doesn't recognize capabilities of remote terminal

I recently got Cygwin's sshd running on my Windows XP machine.  It
seems to basically work fine, allowing me to login from any of
several machines running various flavors of Unix.  Cygwin's less
command, however, doesn't seem to recognize the capabilities of my
remote terminal.

For example, I often use ssh to login to my Windows machine from
another machine running SunOS 5.8, using an xterm version "XFree86
4.1.0(165)".  When I use less to read a file, I get a warning
message:

    $ less /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/terminfo-5.5_20061104.README
    WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
    /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/terminfo-5.5_20061104.README  (press RETURN)

and scrolling behaves oddly, e.g.,

    -  scrolling down the page using j leaves colons at the
       beginning of blank lines;

    -  scrolling up the page using k seems to redraw the page from
       the top.

I checked the value of TERM and it is correct:  xterm-16color.  I
thought that Cygwin's terminfo entry might not match my SunOS xterm,
so I took a text description of the xterm-16color terminfo on the
Sun machine and compiled and installed it under
/usr/local/lib/terminfo on the Windows machine using Cygwin's tic.
I then executed

    export TERMINFO=/usr/local/lib/terminfo

and tried less again, but with the same results.

Cygwin's vim seems to work fine on that same file:  no warnings;
color looks fine; scrolling works fine.

Less works fine in a non-X rxvt window running directly on the
Windows machine.

I created the attached output from cygcheck -s -v -r while remotely
logged in and in the same environment I used while encountering the
problems with less.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong or what else I might look at?

Regards,
Gary

--
Gary Johnson                 | Agilent Technologies
garyjohn@spk.agilent.com     | Wireless Division