Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: openssl-0.9.8e-1, openssl-devel-0.9.8e-1

Chuck wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

The compatibility package openssl097 will not be updated anymore and its
usage is deprecated.  If you're still using any application relying on
openssl 0.9.7, consider updating or rebuilding to a new version which
depends on openssl 0.9.8.  None of the packages in the Cygwin net
distribution is built against openssl 0.9.7 anymore.

I have both openssl 0.9.8 and 0.9.7 installed. How can I find out what is using 097 and get rid of it if I don't need it anymore? I don't recall ever explicitly installing it so I'm guessing it was installed as part of some other package. Perhaps openssh.

$ cygcheck  -c openssl openssl097 openssh
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
openssh              4.5p1-1        OK
openssl              0.9.8d-1       OK
openssl097           0.9.7l-1       OK

Based on Corinna's comment, it's fair to assume that if you have this package, it is because you have one of the following situations:

  1. All your packages are not up-to-date or you've installed an
     obsolete package.

  2. You had a package that used it but didn't get uninstalled
     properly for some reason, leaving around openssl097.

3. You have a third-party or local Cygwin application using openssl097.

None of these are a "problem" but in the last case, you should consider
updating the application in question as it won't happen automatically
as part of your next update of Cygwin.

There's no easy way to find an app using a particular DLL.  The dependencies
flow from the application to the DLLs, not the reverse.  You can check the
DLLs an app uses with 'cygcheck'.

'openssh' is a package managed by Corinna so I think you can be assured
that the current version doesn't use openssl097.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746