Re: Strange message from updatedb

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 04:17:54PM -0700, Cary Jamison wrote:
Phil Edwards wrote:
I'm aware of the restrictions, and I will bet long odds that spaces
show up in filenames far more often than colons (or any other
punctuation commonly used as a separator in pathname lists) are used.
I've not changed my opinion that updatedb is behind the times and is
needlessly complicating things for admins, but I also don't expect
that opinion to change anybody else's mind -- this bug has been
reported before, against other distros, and gets rejected because "you
shouldn't use spaces in filenames under Linux," how quaint.
This opinion by Linux users has to change if they want Linux to become a more mainstream os. Everyday users are going to use spaces in filenames through the Linux desktop, just as it has become more common on the Windows desktop.

<$.02

Personally,Idon'treallyunderstandwhatthebigdealishere.

Fortunately, we don't need to debate the issue here since it's an upstream problem so it's off-topic.

Holliston, MA 01746