Re: CreateFileMapping/MapViewOfFile and fork

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:06:33PM -0500, Sean Daley wrote:
>As part of an application we're developing, we use
>CreateFileMapping/MapViewOfFile to be able to share information among
>processes.  I noticed today that if I try to reference the map
>immediately after calling fork() but before calling exec, that my
>application will crash.
>
>I should be able to resolve this in my app but I was just curious if
>this was unexpected behavior or not.

No.  It is not unexpected.  Cygwin is intended to emulate linux.
CreateFileMapping is not a linux function.

If you want to use Windows functions for this type of thing you probably
shouldn't be using Cygwin.  Maybe you really want to use MinGW
(http://mingw.org).  Either that or you should be using linux/unix alike
functions like mmap().