RE: How can I uninstall Cygwin? -- Where must I enter "umount" for this purpose?

On 03 May 2007 18:41, Ghuoargh wrote:

> Dear Cygwin people!
>
> A few days ago I have downloaded Cygwin from cygwin.com and installed it
> on my computer.
> However, since then some other programs did not function properly any more
> and it may be that Cygwin is responsible for this.

  Nope.  It's more likely that something else on your computer is breaking cygwin and the other programs.  Do you have any of the following installed?

Sonic Solutions burning software containing DLA component
Norton/MacAffee/Symantec antivirus or antispyware
Logitech webcam software with "Logitech process monitor" service
Kerio, Agnitum or ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall
Iolo System Mechanic/AntiVirus/Firewall
LanDesk
Windows Defender
Embassy Trust Suite fingerprint reader software wxvault.dll

> I read on the pages of cygwin.com, that in order to do this I need to
> enter the command "umount" (several times) somewhere and uninstall by this
> procedure all mount points which are listed when I enter "mount" alone
> (this procedure is correct, or?).
> However, neither the Windows Command Prompt / Command Line Interface / ...
> (the one in the start menu with white text on black background) nor the
> Cygwin Bash Shell recognize these two commands.
> So, where do I have to enter "mount" and "umount"?

  In the cygwin bash shell.  If those commands don't work, something must have gone very wrong with the install process.  Does /bin/mount and /bin/umount work better?

    cheers,
      DaveK