Re: registry's role, or "must I install on client madhines"

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:00:49AM -0400, Joseph Michaud wrote:
I have cygwin installed on a Windows share.  I'm trying to use it
from another Windows client machine (on which it was never installed)
by simply running the bash executable using the UNC path
(//share/cygwin/bin/bash.exe -l -i).  This isn't working.
The only other thing I can think of is that the registry is
being set up when you do an install and that these registry entries
are required when bash is invoked.

Are registry entries referenced when running bash?

Cygwin, (somewhat) like linux, sets up a mount table which creates a root directory, bin directory and other directories. You can see what's created by typing "mount".

The fact that this information is stored in the registry is irrelevant
(and WILL change eventually).  You should use the mount command to
see how things are set up.

Is it possible to setup cygwin so that it may be used from a share
without having been installed on the client machine?

Possibly. You don't absolutely need the mount table (with the possible exception of /tmp) but, if you want to have bash set things up automatically, you will need to investigate how bash works, set the appropriate environment variables, and use the appropriate command line switches.

info bash

may help.  Also check out "man mount" paying particular attention to
"mount -m".

Bingo! That's the trick. As soon as I ran the appropriate mount commands on my client machines (specifying //share/cygwin...) everything worked.

Thanks.

Joe