Re: replicating my cygwin install on a different machine

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 06:03:22PM -0500, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
> On 6/6/07, Jerome Fong  wrote:
>> Hi There,
>>
>> I was wondering if there was a way to save and duplicate my cygwin
>> installation so I can replicate it on a different machine.  The idea is,
>> I have scripts and programs developed and tested on my cygwin install.
>> I want to be able to deploy everything that I am running on my machine.
>>
>> I'm not sure if the setup.exe will get me what I want since older
>> versions of packages are not always readily available (dependent on the
>> server).  Also, I want to be able to provide the operations team with a
>> zip file or some kind of installation package to replicate on each
>> server.   The idea is to avoid  new downloads and use what I have until
>> I need to upgrade.
>
> Assuming you use the same drive letters and directory structure, you
> can just zip up your cygwin data (preferably with something that can
> maintain file permissions) and dump HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus

I would not suggest using "zip" as the mechanism for backing up and
restoring.  As has been noted 10497 times in this mailing list Windows
ZIP does not properly save the bits needed to recreate things like
symlinks.

And, we've also mentioned at least as many times that you DO NOT MANIPULATE
THE REGISTRY DIRECTLY.  Use "mount -m" to create a .bat file suitable for
recreating the mount table.

So, the proper way to do this is to copy cygwin1.dll, tar.exe, mount.exe
to the other computer, in a temporary directory.  Run the .bat file
created by mount -m to recreate the mount table and use tar.exe to
extract the tar ball created.

cgf