Re: cygwin1.dll building question

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 09:30:22AM -0400, Olivier Langlois wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I wanted to add the function strcasestr() from glibc to the cygwin's libc
>and I have encountered a serie of difficulties and questions. Some of them
>are related to the process of offering changes to cygwin but I will reserve
>those for the other mailing list.
>
>1- I have modified a Makefile.am file to include the new c file to compile
>but I have never been able to regenerate the corresponding Makefile.in. I
>have guessed that maybe I had to configure the project in the maintainer
>mode but I have never been able to make it work with the needed custom tools
>from RedHat. I have finally workaround problem #1 but editing manually the
>Makefile.in file. How are you supposed to regenerate the Makefile.in?

You must be referring to newlib if you are talking about Makefile.am.
newlib has its own mailing list newlib at sourceware PERIOD org .
You'll need to talk to the maintainer of newlib if you are adding a new
function there.

>3-The generated cygwin0.dll looks like an exact copy of cygwin1.dll. Does
>that dll has a special purpose or it is just a building artifact?

Please look at the Makefile.

>4-My generated libcygwin.a is 3.6MB vs 953KB for the one distributed with
>the cygwin binaries. Obviously, I did not build the same thing. Does someone
>have an idea about what would explain that difference?

The standard answer: debugging symbols.

>5-Doing 'make install' broke my cygwin setup (gcc was exiting without
>generating any output). Even reinstalling every cygwin components from
>setup.exe did not solve the problem. To fix that problem, I have to erase
>the 'cygwin' directory completely before reinstalling cygwin. To workaround
>that problem, instead of doing 'make install' I have just manually copied
>cygwin1.dll and libcygwin.a from the src package to the appropriate
>locations.

Under windows, if you install over top of an in-use dll, you are asking
for problems.  You really do have to copy cygwin1.dll manually, using
windows commands.

cgf