Re: emacs 22.1?

Hello Christopher,

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> This is one of those situations where a certain amount of core
> competence is required.  If you are not really familiar with the concept
> of building packages (especially a package as presumably large and
> complicated as emacs) you might want to think twice about what you're
> volunteering to do.  How can you possibly maintain and support a package
> if you don't have any idea about how to build it?  How are you going to
> deal with bug reports?
>
> I'm *really* not trying to be mean here.  I'm just trying to make sure
> that you understand what you're getting into.

thanx for your warning. It is clear to me that this is not an easy job and
i'm not sure now to do this work. I'm just doing some examinations about
the amount of work waiting for me. ;-)

But i believe i've a good core competence. I'm a software developer and
familiar with building packages for other distributions (e.g. RPM or
fli4l). I've also studied the mentioned http://cygwin.com/setup.html. But
there are some open distribution specific questions:

Is there a suggested build environment (may be a prepared VMware image)?
Or just installing cygwin base and devel?

What about file ownership and permissions? Under which user account (uid)
the packages should be build?

How to mark obsolete packages? In emacs 22.1 leim is integrated. So the
extra leim package is obsolete.

The old emacs package is neither build using method One nor method Two
mentioned on http://cygwin.com/setup.html. Is there something to pay
attention to in the new package to avoid update problems?

May be some more...

Regards,
Steffen