RE: Memory leakage?

On 21 June 2007 08:31, Edgar Matzinger wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> On 06/10/2007 11:46:35 PM, Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 10 June 2007 13:00, Edgar Matzinger wrote:
>>
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>>   I wonder if there is a memory leakage problem with the current cygwin
>>> release. After upgrading to it, and trying to compile Gnome (using
>>> garnome), the memory usage keeps increasing. Even after I've stopped
>>> the building process, the memory isn't freed up.
>>
>>   How exactly are you measuring the memory usage of a process that no
>> longer exists, then?
>
>   I'm using the windows task manager.

  Stop right there.  The windows task manager doesn't display any statistics
for a process that no longer exists.  So, what you're looking at is a
statistic for the overall system.  Attributing it to cygwin is probably a
mistake.

  Exactly *which* statistic is changing?

> Furthermore, I've noticed that
> the system is unable to start new processes, when memory is exhausted
> and the garnome build process has crashed....
>
> This *looks* like a memory leak to me.

  Yes, but it's not cygwin.  Cygwin programs are basically just windows
programs like any other.  When the process terminates, the operating system
frees all the memory it has allocated.  There's absolutely no way it can leak
memory.

  A faulty anti-virus, device driver, or other component that operates at the
kernel level of the OS, on the other hand, most certainly can.  Does disabling
the on-access file scanning of your AV help any?

    cheers,
      DaveK