Re: vista rsh problem

On Jul  9 19:10, goetz fischer wrote:

> okay so once again:
>
> i have vista with cygwin (current snap) and the command 'rsh
> <server_ip>' causes the prompt to hang forever.
> it works with cygwin on xp so it should be a vista issue.
> i posted the server info already some days ago as well as the cygcheck
> output.

You're telling that you tested this on XP for the first time now.  You
didn't mentioned the server OS anywhere in this thread.  We only know
it's not Cygwin and it's not Linux but some sort of "real" unix(*) which
apparently doesn't use PAM.  You didn't tell if you tried anything to
diagnose the problem further.  You did not mention if you ever tested it
in other scenarios, like a Cygwin -> Linux or a Cygwin -> Cygwin
connection or between XP->Vista and Vista->XP, etc.  You didn't reply to
Dave's question about any specific software on the Vista machine.
There's just the bare fact "it hangs in this one instance".  Do you
really think a bug report is useful with all that guesswork left?

Apart from that, I have only Cygwin and Linux ready for testing and
debugging.  If you use any other OS, you will have to debug this problem
by yourself.  Of course, http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC.

Corinna

(*)   System 7?  System V Release 4?  True64?  OpenUnix?

Red Hat