Re: hacked package on server

Hi,

Pedro Alves wrote:
Erich Dollansky wrote:

Carlo Florendo wrote:
Brian Mathis wrote:
The OP said:

 > "Do you want to skip the package?" and has a yes and no button.
 > I read it quickly and pressed no before thinking about it"
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So you see, it's a problem of thought. The UI message *is* very clear.

One simply needs to think before acting.

the message is clear.

The user answers that he wants to install.

As I understand this threat, the message is misleading in this case.

I noticed this many times with the installer. A person who knows the installer, can give the proper answer. A normal user will answer the question as he understands it using plain English.

Do you want to skip the package?

No!

Why did I start the installer in the first place?

To install the package.

Perhaps the screen should flash, and a loud beep

no, this is not the idea behind.

The switch from:

"do you want to format your drive?:

+-----+  +-----+
+ yes +  + no  +
+-----+  +-----+

to:

"do you want to format your drive?:

+--------+  +---------+
+ format +  + cancel  +

... Makes it much easier to understand what the software's up to.

when I start a disk formating program, I understand the question just as a confirmation.

When I start an installation program, I will also understand simple questions like this as an confirmation.

But the question appears this time not as a confirmation but as an error message. Displaying the short message give the normal user even more the impression that it is just a simple confirmation of what he is intending to do anyway. So, he answers with his intend in mind.

Erich

And, paint the pushbuttons the same color you've
done your bikeshed.

Cheers,
Pedro Alves