RE: Own Compiled Program Immediately Crashes on Startup

On 18 July 2007 15:03, Hans Streibel wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
>> Hey, I've never seen it before.  I guess it isn't the problem then.
>> Trouble is, there's very little else goes on before main.
>
> Startup code, crt0.o

  Yep, but that's pretty much the same in every cygwin app, so I would expect
any bugs in it to manifest more widely.

>> Hans, is there any C++ with static objects with constructors in
>> this program?
>
> No, all is plain old C (K&R, pre ANSI C I guess).

  Fair enough, I was just thinking that the other main thing to happen before
startup is .init c-tors running.

>>> How can I link to a dll directly? It is a dynamic library so
>>> as far as I know there is nothing the linker could do here.
>>
>> You specify "-l<libname>", and the compiler and linker find the import
>> stub library (.dll.a) for you.  That's all I meant by the phrase.
>
> I put a "-lcygwin" just in front of the "-lncurses".
> No difference.

  Sorry, I haven't been clear; that was only relevant to the theoretical case
that you were invoking the linker directly.  Since you're using the gcc
driver, nonoe of this should be necessary.

>> Anyway, I guess the next thing to try is invoke the executable under
>> gdb and see if that shows you any more useful information about where
>> it's gotten to when it crashes.
>
> I already did so. Have a look at the "typescript1" attachment
> in my original posting. gdb just issues an error that I cannot
> understand. But I even get that same gdb error when I try to debug
> my running "hello world" program. Thus I suppose it has something
> to do with gdb. A different problem.

  Hmmm, or perhaps it's a real error that affects one of your target programs
differently than the other.

> gdb: unknown target exception 0xc0000135 at 0x7c974ed1

  That's STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND.  Interesting.  I wonder if something's
interfering with dll loading?

> Program exited with code 030000000465.

>~/private/src/jove/jove4.16.0.65 $ strace jjove.exe
>--- Process 3076, exception C0000005 at 7C929994
>--- Process 3076, exception C0000005 at 7C974ED1

  And those are STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION.  Odd.  Are you, by any chance,
running any of:

Sonic Solutions burning software containing DLA component
Norton/MacAffee/Symantec antivirus or antispyware
Logitech webcam software with "Logitech process monitor" service
Kerio, Agnitum or ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall
Iolo System Mechanic/AntiVirus/Firewall
LanDesk
Windows Defender
Embassy Trust Suite fingerprint reader software wxvault.dll

    cheers,
      DaveK