Re: how to build cygwin using itself

On Jul 27, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Brian Dessent wrote:

zooko wrote:

http://cygwin.com/cvs.html

Which say to check out "winsup".

That's your problem. I'm not sure why that page says that, but just checking out winsup will give you a tree that can't be used to build anything.

Could someone give me a hint as to what other steps are necessary to
build cygwin using itself?

"cvs co cygwin"

This doesn't work for me:

-------
$ CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.com:/cvs/src cvs co cygwin
cvs server: cannot find module `cygwin' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules
-------

Hm. Looking at the CVS layout it appears that I might need "src/", which is the common parent of "winsup/" and "newlib/".

I'll try that.

Hm, I can see that this is going to take a long time to cvs co. I'll report back later how it works.

Regards,

Zooko