Re: Copy text from secured PDF

On 8/6/07, Steve Holden  wrote:
> Joel Rubin wrote:
> > pdftotext.exe, part of the XPDF package, can be recompiled with a /*
> > comment */ cut around the permission-to-copy/print code.
> >

> > Probably the other programs will also work but since the PDF files
> > being spammed just a few lines of text and all I want to do is forward
> > the text to the Securities and Exchange Commission and maybe the
> > Chinese Consulate (they seem to be spamming Chinese stocks) that's
> > enough for me.
> >
> > So if you have a LEGITIMATE reason to prevent the reader of a PDF file
> > from copying/printing don't use this method because it is very easy to
> > break - it depends on the co-operation of the reading program. And
> > open source reading programs can cease to co-operate.
> >
> > Bob, I'm sure I will be sued by the author of the PDF, especially if
> > he can testify about the whole pump and dump conspiracy and not take
> > the Fifth Amendment.
> >

> I'm sorry to say this, but reporting each and every such spam to the SEC
> is merely going to compound the problem by spamming them. If you aren't
> part of the answer then you are part of the problem ...
>
> regards
>   Steve
> --
> Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119
> Holden Web LLC/Ltd           http://www.holdenweb.com
> Skype: holdenweb      http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
> --------------- Asciimercial ------------------
> Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag the Internet
> Many services currently offer free registration
> ----------- Thank You for Reading -------------
>

> --

The FTC wants it.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/online/inbox.shtm

"What Can I Do With the Spam in my In-Box?

Report it to the Federal Trade Commission. Send a copy of unwanted or
deceptive messages to spam@uce.gov. The FTC uses the unsolicited
emails stored in this database to pursue law enforcement actions
against people who send deceptive spam email."

-Jason