RE: cygwin 1.5.20-1, spinning pdksh, 100% CPU

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > Subject: RE: cygwin 1.5.20-1, spinning pdksh, 100% CPU

> > > I just want to make sure I understand this - are you talking about a
> > > change that has been made since 1.5.24-2 was released, which is in
> > > the snapshot view now?  Or did you mean a fix that was made sometime
> > > between 1.5.20-1 and 1.5.24-2.
> >
> > I meant the former, but I don't know if these changes have actually
> > fixed your problem.
>
> I'll download the latest snapshot and look at what's changed.  Do you
> remember where the changes might be located - I'd guess somewhere in
> sigproc.cc, exception.cc, and/or wait.cc.  Or if you remember the date
> and/or subject of the email discussion that I could look at, that would
> be very helpful as well.

You can look at the cygwin-cvs list archives...  There may also be changes
in fork.cc that are relevant.

> > Any particulars about the machines on which this happens?  Are they
> > multi-core?  I don't recall seeing a cygcheck output from an affected
> > machine...
> > 	Igor
>
> This happens on a variety of hardware - single-CPU is where it's the
> biggest problem since the system becomes nearly unusable.  But we've
> seen it on multi-core and multi-physical-CPU systems as well.
>
> Here's cygcheck from one of the systems where it's happened a few times:
> [snip inline cygcheck output]

In the future, please attach the cygcheck output instead of pasting it
inline, as it messes with the search functionality of the list archives.

> Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
> Current System Time: Tue Aug 07 09:01:03 2007
>
> Windows 2003 Server Ver 5.2 Build 3790 Service Pack 2
>
> Running in Terminal Service session

Ah.  The above two may be very relevant.  I don't have Win2k3 Server to
test with, especially not via Terminal Services.  I wouldn't be surprised
if such an environment was not heavily tested.  Perhaps Corinna or CGF can
suggest things to try in those cases.

> w:  net NTFS   1402454Mb  34% CP CS    PA        coskrey

Wow, you have a 1.3TB disk?  Cool.

>  1836k 2007/07/14 C:\LK\bin\cygwin1.dll
>     Cygwin DLL version info:
>         DLL version: 1.5.20

You really might want to try with a newer cygwin version...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Belief can be manipulated.  Only knowledge is dangerous.  -- Frank Herbert