Re: Slowness problem due to sjlj-exceptions for Octave

Matsuoka-san,

Ohayougozaimasu :)

I'm Tatsuro MATSUOKA.
This is the first time to post cygwin-app ML.

Great!

I'm now using cygwin for octave, gnuplot and shell command etc.
For the Octave society, it is very famous that building octave current standard gcc slows the octave
because the cygwin treats the silj-exceptions very slowly.

Could you please expound (or point to a link) on what sjlj or sjlj- exceptions do? AFAIK, it's probably the first time the "octave sjlj exception issue" has appeared in this list. As far as I've seen, this is a gcc issue.

I do not entirely agree with his opinion, but I also have a question on sjlj-problem on cygwin.
This problem has been famous for a long time in the Octave society. I suppose it has been also
disscussed in cygwin ML. My question is why the cygwin uses the slow sjlj exceptions instead of
dwarf2 which was used in old cygwin at the time gcc-3.2 was used.

The cygwin octave maintainer (if [s]he is still there) must know more about this. However, Cygwin's octave is 2.1.72 but mainline is 2.9.13.

Recetly the Octave can be built with the mingw. The mingw GCC also uses sjlj exceptions but the
slowness problem never be occured. I wonder why the sjlj exceptions slows the octave on cygwin. In other platforms including mingw, such
phenomea does not happen.

Would it be possible for you to send corresponding straces of the cases you posted below?

Using Oregonator ODE (source was placed at the end of the
mail), we compare the solving time

octave 2.9.13 built with gcc-3.4.4-3 in cygwin package octave:1> testOregoB
ans = 9.2500

octave 2.1.73 binary in cygwin package
octave:1> testOregoB
ans = 7.0930

my testing binary built specially confgiured gcc.
octave:1> testOregoB
ans = 2.7030

Regarding these "testing binary" and "specially configured gcc", what versions are these and what options did you use to build gcc?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Software Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City