Re: inetutils RSH install

Renà Berber wrote:

Alexfed wrote:
Unfortunately outside of running iu-config it has no info on how to create
and run the service.

Inetd? Once installed it starts after every reboot or when you do a "net start
inetd" or ...

If you meant rshd, if configured right on /etc/inet.conf, it starts whenever a
client tries to connect.

Renà Berber-2 wrote:
Alexfed wrote:

How do I install the inetutils RSH and start the service?
Edit /etc/inetd.conf; I'm assuming you already read
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README and installed inetd as a
service..
He obviously did not read /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README or at least he did not bother to read down far enough where it says how to install it as a service. From what I can see that comes in at ~ line 314 or 437 lines or 71% in. Essentially you need to do

$ /usr/sbin/inetd --install-as-service

Additionally you need to (IIRC) add C:\Cygwin\bin to your SYSTEM environment variable otherwise start up of inetd will fail. Oh and you need to reboot too.

Of course you could instead use cygrunsrv to add the service which, I believe, does a better job and handles the need to add C:\Cygwin\bin to your SYSTEM environment. In fact I believe that this --install-as-service option should be removed from inetd and iu-config should be enhanced to add the service via cygrunsrv.

Either way a "net start/stop inetd" will start/stop the service and it should be set to start automatically at boot up time.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Everyone hates me because I'm paranoid.