RE: directory listing differences

On 23 October 2007 17:02, Joseph Michaud wrote:

> Just to follow-up on this...
>
> I recently came back to this problem.  Dave's suggestion to use Process
> Explorer was useful in that it showed that bash was using some SysWOW64
> DLLS.  This reminded me that 64-bit Windows transparently redirects
> 32-bit apps from \Windows\system32 to \Windows\SysWOW64.
>
> The issue has nothing to do with permissions.  Because bash is a 32-bit
> app, when it tries to look in \Windows\system32, the OS redirects that
> request to show instead \Windows\SysWOW64.  There is a (64-bit)
> telnet.exe in system32 but no (32-bit) telnet.exe in SysWOW64.

  D'oh!  D'oh!  D'oh!  <foreheadslap>  I should have remembered that.  See the
thread "Certain files in the system32 directory are not listed" at
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2007-06/threads.html#00110

> Reference the following threads:
>
>     9-Jan-06  Cygwin cannot find certain files under Windows 2003
>     7-Jun-07  Certain files in the system32 directory are not listed
>
> Joe

  Ah, I see you already did!  But see also
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-talk/2007-q2/msg00168.html
where I posted the simplest possible explanation of the whole sorry mess...

    cheers,
      DaveK