More questions about mkgroup and mkpasswd

So yesterday when I installed cygwin I got an error about my group being mkgroup and that it should be rebuilt.  It mentioned that if I am a network user I should use mkpasswd and mkgroup with the -d flag.  What is this giving me over just saying mkpasswd -l?  All I see is it creating massive passwd and group files.

Also, I saw that my home dir in my /etc/passwd is somewhere that doesn't exist on a network server.  Can I safely just change it to a local /home/user dir?

Lastly, I see that some of my files have a group of Users and others have Domain Users, how can I easily set all my files to the same group?  I literally just installed Cygwin, so I have no problem reinstalling to "get it right" from the beginning, if there is a better way to install Cygwin when you are on a domain.

eweibust@eweibust_D630 /home
$ ls -la
total 8
drwxrwxrwx+  3 eweibust Domain Users    0 Nov 29 17:58 .
dr-xr-x---+ 12 eweibust Users        4096 Nov 29 17:58 ..
drwxrwxrwx+  2 eweibust Domain Users 4096 Nov 29 18:00 eweibust

--
Erik Weibust
developer, blogger - http://erik.weibust.net