Re: cygwin and squid - RLIMIT_NOFILE

VÃclav Haisman wrote:

> jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk wrote, On 4.12.2007 4:40:
> > David Rothenberger wrote:
> >
> >> On 12/3/2007 2:51 PM, jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> Is there any reason not to use the Windows-native squid
> binaries[1]?  >> I thought about trying to package squid-2.6 for
> Cygwin because of the >> problems you mention, but when I noticed the
> Windows-native binaries >> I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
> > >
> >> [1] http://www.acmeconsulting.it/SquidNT/
> >

> > I did try the windows port, it did not work either.
> > here is a direct link to the download page
> > http://squid.acmeconsulting.it/download/dl-squid.html
> >
> > I tried with 2.6 stable17, and 2.6 stable16.  Same result.
> >
> > first time I got an error
> > C:\squid\sbin>squid
> > FATAL: Unable to open configuration file: c:/squid/etc/squid.conf:
> >

> > (
> > well,
> > there is no such file. There was squid.conf.default, so I did
> > copy squid.conf.default squid.conf
> > )
> >

> > I ran it again and got a different error
> > C:\squid\sbin>squid
> > FATAL: cache_dir c:/squid/var/cache: (2) No such file or directory
> > Squid Cache (Version 2.6.STABLE17): Terminated abnormally.
> > CPU Usage: 0.030 seconds = 0.010 user + 0.020 sys
> > Maximum Resident Size: 3944 KB
> > Page faults with physical i/o: 996
> >

> > I tried it on another machine, since on this machine (maybe a bad
> > win xp) I have been able to run servers, but have had problems when
> > installing a server as a service, like openssh runs ./sshd but not
> > net start sshd. Anyhow, it did not work on the computer with the
> > fully working win xp either. same errors
> >
> I think that you need to RTFM. IIRC you first have to create your swap
> directories using the -z option.

I just want to emphasise, that your response only regarding the windows
port..  I will look into that, I see it has install instructions on
that site.
I had not researched the windows port much. (which is one reason why I
did not mention the windows port as a problem in my original post)

But regarding the cygwin squid thing, I researched it.. Read all over
the mailing list, and was dealing with a classic error that had
solutions that were meant to work.